Updated: March 3rd, 2021
There are three general categories of customer data that we collect or generate from our customers’ use of our products and services. We’ll call these “Customer Content,” “Customer Account Data,” and “Customer Usage Data.”
- Customer Content. Customer Content consists of the text and media that are sent through Glue’s products and services, like text or media posted in Drops.
- Customer Account Data. Customer Account Data is all the data that relates to the relationship between Glue and its customers, like our customers’ names, contact information, and billing information and records.
- Customer Usage Data. Includes operational data like web/API requests, authentication logs, traffic routing information, or usage information.
When you sign up for an account on Glue we collect your Name, Email, Password and Username. We collect this Customer Account Data so that we know who you are, we can communicate with you about your account, and we can recognize you when you communicate with us through Glue or otherwise. We may also collect a Phone Number to provide verification or two-factor authentication services for your account. Other, optional, data items we collect from you are: avatar, cover photo, bio, website, and location. This information is used for your Glue Profile that other Glue users can see.
When you use our products and services, we collect Customer Usage Data. This may include data like your IP addresses, location derived from IP address and how many times you used a Glue product or service, when the product or service was used by you, how many Drops were sent or any errors associated with your account.
We collect Customer Usage Data so that you can manage your use of our products and services. We also collect it so that we can properly bill you for your use of our products and services, appropriately manage and route customer traffic, analyze and improve our products and services, identify and solve problems that arise and prevent abuse.
Generally, we use all the data that you provide to us or that we collect from you to provide our products and services to you, to enable you to access and use our products and services, to deliver your content to their intended destination, and to analyze our customers’ use of our products and services, to improve our products and services, and to detect fraudulent or unlawful activity in connection with Glue accounts.
In addition, we will use your email address to send you information about Glue products, services, or events that you might be interested in. You can choose not to receive marketing emails from Glue. If you wish to stop receiving Glue marketing emails you may click on the unsubscribe link that will appear at the bottom of any Glue marketing emails or you can contact customer support. Your email address is also used to as a recovery mechanism in case you forget your password.
Glue does not sell your data to any parties. Also, unless you give us your permission, we won’t share your data with third parties, except as described below:
- Third-party service providers or consultants. We may share your data stored on our systems with third-party service providers or consultants who need access to the data to perform their work on Glue’s behalf. For instance, sharing relevant Customer Account Data with our transactional email service to send you important account information via email, with our payment processor so it can process payments on our behalf, or our storage provider for storing your data on our behalf. These third-party service providers are limited to only accessing or using this data to provide services to us and must provide reasonable assurances that they will appropriately safeguard the data.
- Compliance with Laws. We may disclose your data stored on our systems to a third party if (i) we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or a government request (including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements), (ii) to enforce our agreements and policies, (iii) to protect the security or integrity of our services and products, (iv) to protect ourselves, our other customers, or the public from harm or illegal activities, or (v) to respond to an emergency which we believe in good faith requires us to disclose data to assist in preventing a death or serious bodily injury. If Glue is required by law to disclose any of your data that directly identifies you, then we will use reasonable efforts to provide you with notice of that disclosure requirement, unless we are prohibited from doing so by statute, subpoena or court or administrative order. Further, we object to requests that we do not believe were issued properly.
- Business transfers. If we go through a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, dissolution or similar event, customer data we gather from you may be part of the assets transferred or shared in connection with the due diligence for any such transaction. Any acquirer or successor of Glue may continue to use your data as set forth in this notice.
We do not knowingly collect any personal information directly from children under the age of 13.
Cookies are small text files sent by us to your computer and from your computer to us, each time you visit our website. They are unique to your Glue account or your browser. Session-based cookies last only while your browser is open and are automatically deleted when you close your browser. Persistent cookies last until you or your browser delete them or until they expire.
Some cookies are associated with your Glue account and personal information in order to remember that you are logged in. Other cookies are not tied to your Glue account but are unique and allow us to do site analytics and customization, among other similar things. If you access Glue through your browser, you can manage your cookie settings there but if you disable all cookies you may not be able to use Glue.
Glue sets and accesses our own cookies on our company-owned domains. We do not currently recognize or respond to browser-initiated Do Not Track signals as there is no consistent industry standard for compliance.
We use appropriate security measures to protect the security of your customer data both online and offline. These measures vary based on the sensitivity of the information that we collect, process and store and the current state of technology. Please note though that no service is completely secure. So, while we strive to protect your data, we cannot guarantee that unauthorized access, hacking, data loss or a data breach will never occur.
You may access your account through our account dashboard by using your email address and a password that you chose when you signed up for Glue’s products and services. To protect the confidentiality of your customer data and protect from unauthorized use of your account, you must keep your password confidential and not disclose it to any other person. Please let us know right away if you think your password was compromised or misused. For instructions on changing your password, go to your account settings.
Deletion, access, and changes to Customer Data. You may access and make changes to your Customer Account Data through the Account Settings in Glue. You will also be able access Customer Content stored on our systems and various types of Customer Usage Data through the account dashboard as well.
You can delete your Glue account from the Account Settings page or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You should know that deletion of your Glue account will result in you permanently losing access to your account and all customer data to which you previously had access through your account. Please note that certain data associated with that account may nonetheless remain on Glue’s servers in an aggregated or anonymized form that does not specifically identify you. Similarly, data associated with your account that we are required by law to maintain will also not be deleted.
If you would like to export your data, rectify any incorrect data about you or request to have your data deleted from our systems, email email@example.com
You can choose not to receive promotional emails from Glue by following the unsubscribe/opt-out instructions in those emails. You can also opt-out by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that even if you opt out of promotional communications, we may still send you non-promotional messages relating to things like updates to our Terms of Service
or privacy notices, security alerts, and other notices relating to your access to or use of our products and services.
We may change our Privacy Notice from time to time. If we make changes, we’ll revise the “Last Updated” date at the top of this notice, and we may provide additional notice such as on the Glue website homepage, account dashboard sign-in page, or via the email address we have on file for you. We will comply with applicable law with respect to any changes we make to this notice.
We do not participate in, or co-operate with, any kind of blanket surveillance or monitoring. We also take technical measures where feasible to prevent surveillance of our users occurring without our co-operation, such as:
- Using Perfect Forward Secrecy where feasible for all encrypted connections.
- Encrypting sensative data at rest on our servers.
- Encrypting communications between our data centers.
Like any company, we can never guarantee our measures are 100% effective, as we don't know the full capabilities of any attackers. However, these measures do act to increase the difficulty and expense of any surveillance.
Glue does not accept legal process directly from law enforcement entities outside the U.S. or Canada. Foreign law enforcement agencies should proceed through a Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty or other diplomatic or legal means to obtain data through a court where Glue is located. Glue responds to legal process in a manner consistent with the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§2501 et seq., and relevant case law. Glue does not disclose account content absent a search warrant in criminal cases. In civil cases, Glue cannot disclose content without sufficient legal process and the consent of the appropriate Glue customer(s).
Unless prohibited by law, we will disclose to the account holder when we receive a warrant for their account.
We do not condone illegal activity. We deal with all law enforcement requests personally and we are satisfied that all we have seen are justified.
Due to the nature of their jobs as system administrators, some of our employees have the capability to access Glue accounts. We hold all of our employees to the highest ethical standards, and this includes not accessing anyone's account without a specific administration or legal need. If you request us to look at an issue with your account for debugging purposes, we may ask you to provide certain data to help us in the debugging process.
If we receive abuse reports for an account, backed up with evidence that it has been used for spam, fraud, or illegal content, we may look at the account to decide whether to lock it permanently. This is to reduce the likelihood of accidentally locking a legitimate account.
We do not sell or give information about our users to any third parties. Payments are securely handled via Stripe
User content is scanned by our automated systems for the purpose of detecting content that violates our Terms of Service
or that is spam. We use Machine Learning to help combat content that violates our Terms of Service
and user content is used to train our spam/content filter.
To make message searching fast, we build an index of Drops (this is a table, just like you would find at the back of a reference book, in which you can look up a word to quickly find the messages in which it appears).
We retain backups of deleted messages for at least a week. This is for the purpose of restoring messages in case of accidental deletion. After this point, deleted messages will be purged from all our backups, although the time this takes to happen may vary due to automated load balancing.
We normally keep logs of web application and server activity for up to 6 months. This is for the purposes of diagnosing and fixing problems, which are often reported to us weeks or months after they occur. Aggregate or anonymous data, which cannot be linked to individual user accounts, may be kept for longer periods, for the purpose of improving the Glue service.
Backups and logs may be kept longer than these limits in special circumstances. For example, if a problem is taking a long time to resolve, logs relevant to that investigation may be retained. Or if a server that contains backups or logs is temporarily offline because of a fault, then those backups or logs may not be deleted until the server is brought back up.
These situations are unusual, however, and when they do occur, they are temporary.
Should you close your account, all data will be permanently deleted 7 days after closing. It may take a further 30 days to purge from all our backups.
You may contact via email at email@example.com. Or, you may write to us at the address listed below.
Ark Network, Inc.
P.O. Box 22126
Charleston, SC 29413